Passive heat or fomentation given to a part of the body or the whole body with the help of a bolus containing medicated leaves is known as patra pinda swedana.
Patra-medicinal leaves Pinda – bolus Sweda-fomentation
Leaves of medicinal plants have properties of relieving pain, stiffness & swelling. These leaves in Ayurveda are said to contain Vata alleviating factors known as Vata hara. Such leaves are freshly collected and chopped into small pieces. Then it is fried in medicated oil adding turmeric, lemon in it. The mixture is filled in a piece of cotton cloth and a bolus is prepared out of it. On one side a pan is filled with little quantity of oil and kept on mild fire. The passive heating of bolus is done and gently applied to affected part of the body. In such a manner the procedure of patra-pinda sweda is carried on.
- Strengthens the back and spine.
- Reduces pain and swelling.
- Reduces stiffness and inflammation.
- Increases the circulation and thus improves the functioning of the joints.
- Chronic Back pain.
- Lumbar & Cervical spondylosis.
- Muscular and soft tissue pain.
- Sprains, cramps etc.